An Irish Airman Foresees His Death by W.B. Yeats, 1919
Wednesday 16 October 2013, 5 p.m. section
- Set in WWI. The Irish are fighting for and alongside the British - their longtime oppressors. This poem is speculated to be about Lady Gregory's son, Robert Gregory, who were both friends of Yeats.
- What is heroism according to our speaker?
- What feelings is this airman experiencing?
- What words bring a sense of balance to the poem? Why does balance matter here?
- What function does the title play?