The Playboy of the Western World by John Synge
Wednesday 23 October 2013, 6 p.m. section
Key Points: Synopsis
It's about Christy Mahon and how he's killed his father. He's in fact celebrated because everyone is more infatuated with the story than his actual crime ("sharp tongue"). After winning the race by riding the slowest donkey, he is celebrated even more so by being called
the champion of the western world. After talking to Pegeen Mike and basically getting her to admit that she loves him and will marry him, his dad Old Man Mahon shows up. etc.
Important Things to List
- The Playboy Riots
- Synge pretty much insulted the Irish and threw in every stereotype. It blew up and it was a huge act of nationalism because the entire country of Ireland blew up in uproar.
The Wild Irish
- fights, violence, drink
- the women are violent too.
- Because the play wasn't realistic
- How an upper middle class viewed the peasants
- Christy Mahon is celebrated for killing his father because he was a MAN!
- After Old Man Mahon comes back, everyone hates Christy beccause he was a liar
- Christy tries to be a man again by re-killing his father, but then the whole town turns on him and tries to kill him.