Notes for 30 September 2015
Teaching Associate: Patrick Mooney
Bldg. 494, room 160B
- Continuing with Dawn of the Dead
- How does the film leverage emotional reactions?
- How is it different from a Hollywood action blockbuster?
- Quick overview: history of zombie fiction?
- phase 1, phase 2, phase 3 ...
- Who makes it out of the mall? What are your predictions?
- Structure in the movie
point of view
- setting: the mall
- as consumer space; as space of desire: here's an opportunity to jump into theory with Koolhaas's
- Some key terms, depending on what we get a chance to talk about: what's ...
society? (And what about the social contract?)
- What's pleasurable about the apocalypse?
- We'll look back at this with Wyndham ...
- What makes this film pleasurable? What makes it horrifying?
- Today's whiteboard shots: